thoughts of a warrior on assignment in a place called Earth

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Bearing Fruit

Galatians 5:16-26

Paul opens up this passage with an observation that he has made before: that the flesh and the Spirit are in a constant struggle with each other. He lists the vile sins that we used to participate in. These range from inner hatred to witchcraft, but one who does any or all of these “will not inherit the kingdom of God.” Paul makes a bold statement in verse 24, speaking in the past tense that the Christian has already “crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.” Then he says that we are living in the Spirit, so then we should walk that way.

Often I am tempted to dwell on my sin, trying to get it figured out. Rather, I should simply recognize that that part of me is already dead. Now I must move forward and walk in the Spirit. I find it challenging that we are not told to bear these fruits. No, we are told to “Walk in the Spirit.” It should not be a frantic decision of which fruit I should bear, because in and of my self I “cannot do the things that [I] would.”

1 Comments:

Blogger Becca said...

Great thoughts! I hadn't thought of that passage in that way before. Isn't it amazing that we have the opportunity to learn the WORD so much?! I am just amazed how good God is!! :)

I like how you had your little link to the Scripture reference... very nice!

~ Becs

07:06

 

Post a Comment

<< Home